Everyone desires glistening white teeth. Brighter teeth add to your hygienic appeal and make you more confident. The increasing desirability of whiter teeth, like those of celebrities, has led to the popularity of teeth whitening treatments. However, it is essential to know the pros, cons, and risks before making a decision.
There are numerous options available in the market when it comes to teeth whitening. Many people choose natural, home remedies to remove plaque and whiten their teeth. The results of natural treatments are often delayed and unpredictable. Modern dentistry offers effective and lucrative teeth whitening treatments. Most of the treatments ensure the safety of your teeth during the treatment. Research is the key to pick the best bet.
If you decide to opt for cosmetic teeth whitening by a dentist, then it is essential to know the procedure and find out whether you are eligible for teeth whitening, before scheduling an appointment with a dentist. People with crowns, veneers and sensitive teeth and gums are not eligible for teeth whitening. People, who have grayish or brown teeth, should choose teeth whitening after thorough research and dentist’s consultation. Sometimes, the bleaching agent may not be beneficial in the long run.
These pros and cons of teeth whitening will help you in making an informed decision:
Pros of teeth whitening
- White teeth speak of your hygienic appeal. The procedures remove all the marks and stains on your teeth,giving you a brighter smile.
- Great appearance and smile boost your confidence and self-esteem. Having your teeth whitened gives you confidence about how you look, which results in higher morale. The confidence earned has a positive effect on your personal and professional life.
- Many times, the discoloration of your teeth make you look older. However, whitening your teeth will make you look fresh and young.
Cons of teeth whitening
- The procedure includes the use of bleaching agents and different chemical substances, like or carbamide peroxide, which may result in soreness in gums and teeth.
- If you are looking to keep your teeth white for a longer duration, you might have to avoid particular foods and beverages, like acidic drinks.
- Regular maintenance is required after having your teeth whitened. Prescribed brushing, flossing, and regular visits to the dentist will help you maintain the brightness of your teeth.
When to consider
Pale teeth may make you lose the confidence in your smile. There comes a time when you have to consider teeth whitening procedure such as:
- Job interviews: It is a known fact that the first impression is the last impression. Therefore, it is important to look and feel great.
- Wedding: Your wedding day is one of your prized possessions. No other day can compensate for its charm and grandeur. You can look great and smile brighter on your big day after getting your teeth whitened by a dentist.
- Confidence boost: Pearly white teeth give you extra confidence to show off your bright smile.